Simple Marriage Tips

The most romantic and momentous event in any couple's journey of love is the moment when the immortal words of the marriage vow are uttered:

"I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love and honour you all the days of my life."

But given today's rising divorce rates and complicated marital woes, is there still hope for an eternal love story?

I strongly believe hope abounds - I can't give a powerful testimony yet since I've been married for just 7 years... but I'm confident that if the following simple tips are observed, a marriage would have a good chance of immortality:

1. Go on a date at least once a week (no kids allowed please!) - this would keep romance ablaze.

2. Learn how to "Agree to Disagree" - marriage is about love and commitment, and not about having the same opinions on everything.

3. Maintain physical intimacy - continue to express your love through holding hands, hugging and kissing (yes, even in front of your kids and kins!)

4. Maintain emotional intimacy - continue to share your deepest thoughts, hopes, fears, joys and sorrows.

5. Eat together - never underestimate the extraordinary effects of an ordinary meal shared together!

6. Pray together - nothing binds a couple stronger than religion, which I strongly believe is the key to a lasting marriage!

"The family that prays together, stays together."
Fr. Patrick Peyton (1909-1992) The Rosary Priest

Comments

Popular Posts