Of Kites & Teenagers

I've been coaching my nephews and nieces for many years and I realised that the teenage years are the most difficult periods - both for me and them.

I've weathered such stormy times and discovered that kite-flying is a simple yet apt analogy for dealing with teenagers.

There're just two key points:
  1. Learn to let go: Just as it's physically impossible for a kite to fly higher if one refuses to let go of the string, so it's emotionally impossible too for our teenagers to grow in maturity if we refuse to stop controlling and nagging them.
  2. Be ready to pull back: Just as it's important to pull back the kite if it's in danger of falling or getting stuck in obstacles, so it's important too to monitor our teenagers for telltale signs of problems and step in at the appropriate time to set things right.

Comments

Popular Posts